Year 2 (KS1) and Year 6 (KS2) students will be thinking about preparing for the 2019 SATs exams coming up in the next few months. The SATs exams are usually held during the first two weeks of May each year and serve to test students’ grasp of English, Maths and Science for the respective key stages. Here are important exam dates for parents to jot down on their calendars with respect to the exams.
Key Stage 2
- 13th May – English Grammar and Punctuation
- 14th May – English Reading
- 14th May – English Spelling
- 15th May – Maths Paper 1 Arithmetic
- 15th May – Maths Paper 2 Reasoning
- 16th May – Maths Paper 3 Reasoning
Note: The KS1 test period will also be in May with the phonics check week starting on 10 June. There will be no Science sampling test held for 2019.
What can parents do to help their child prepare for their SATs Exams?
Helping your child prepare for the exams is important to ensure he or she attains maximum results come exam day. Fortunately, there are a number of ways you can help your child throughout the year to ensure their academic performance remains at peak.
- Set a structured timeframe for homework and reviews
- Take your child for an initial learning assessment
- Become familiar with the learning material your child is given
- Be sure home work is always done and suitable for teacher review
- Use practice material such as past test papers that are available online
- Speak to an after school tuition service provider in your area
The internet is full of wonderful resources for parents looking to learn more about how they can help their children perform at school. Here is a short video for parents that provides more details about the KS2 SATS exams.
Sign up for the Boost 2019 KS1 & KS2 Crash courses
Boost Education is excited to announce the 2019 KS1 and KS2 SAT Crash Courses to be held from Monday 8th April – Friday 12th April 9.30am – 3.30pm. The courses are designed to support parents and students in preparing for the exams to ensure maximum achievement for your child.
- English: The crash course will be testing student knowledge and skills in reading by covering a range of fiction, non-fiction and poetry. For spelling, punctuation and grammar, we will work through a mixture of multiple choice questions and writing short answers to test students’ comprehension of subject matter.
- Mathematics: We will be hosting lessons and intense exam practises on arithmetic and mathematical fluency. Questions will include problem-solving, reasoning, multiple choice, matching, true/false, constrained and less constrained questions. Students will also complete two mock tests to measure exam readiness.
We will be concentrating on specific areas of weakness as well as focusing intently on timing for each section of the papers. Exam practices will also help to train your child’s time management skills and readiness for the big day. All work material will be provided by Boost Education and will follow a strict regimen that focuses on SATs content with regular reviews.
Ensure your child aces their upcoming SATs this year
At Boost Education we aim to ensure that every student’s needs are catered for. To this end, we conduct thorough revisions to address any individual problem areas students may struggle with. We also provide parents with constant feedback on progress so that they may provide the appropriate support at home in order to maximise their child’s academic achievement.
To learn more about the upcoming KS1 and KS2 Crash courses, get in touch with your nearest Boost Education centre today!